The director of the City Council of Kisumu Tourism department together with the Lake Victoria Tourism Association led the marketing department of the Kenya Tourism Board on a familiarization trip to the new tourist attraction in the county, Abindu.
The group consisted of:
- Alex Tunoi- The Marketing Director
- Fred Kirui- The Accountant
- Edwin- The Administrator
- Grace Maina- Marketing
- Muriuki- Cameraman.
LVTA members present included:
- Daniel Okumu – Chairman
- Rashid Hussein – Treasurer
- Felix Obuya – Administrator
- Tony Ochieng – Secretary
Since the discovery of Abindu as a potential new tourism attraction site, many stakeholders have joined in trying to develop it into a world class tourism location. KWS made an assessment of the site and are in the process of fencing the area and setting up some necessary facilities. The National Museum is in the process of documenting the site for it to be gazetted as an official tourism site. The council helped the locals around the area to form a Community Based Tourism Organization (CBTO) which was registered 2 weeks ago. Other stakeholders include LVTA and the Ministry of Forestry.
The Kenya Tourism Board will join in to try and develop and market it as a tourist destination.
The group was given a tour round the impressive rock formation and was pleased by what they saw in the county stating the huge potential the site had in improving the tourism industry and bettering the community
Tom Ochola, the CBTO spokesman introduced the members of the CBTO and gave a brief background of the rock formation, from its original occupiers the Kipsigis, The Kwamumbi who drove them off and the legend of Aboro Atete.
The LVTA chairman said the following
- He encouraged the members of the CBTO not to fight within themselves
- The CBTO members should engage their local MP to assist them in developing the road to the site and also bringing water and electricity through the use of the CDF funds
- They should preserve the site for future generations
The Marketing Director KTB had the following to say:
- Congratulated the group of forming the CBTO
- Congratulated the group of preserving the area which is full of history
- Urged them to continue working with the stakeholders in promoting the area
- Work with the City council in putting signposts for directing tourists to the area
- They should not also forget to utilize the media as a stakeholder, vital promoting the area.
- KTB will market site in their website www.magicalkenya.com using the photos they had taken on their tour.